Saturday, February 6, 2010

Rhetoric At Work

Each day when I go to work I never know which aspect of rhetoric will become the overwhelming theme of the day. I work at a UPS shipping store where we send out packages for people and also where people have mailboxes. Don't let this little "one stop, business shop" fool you. It has the atmosphere of your local tavern where people can come in and vent about there day. Between my regulars and any new customers that come my way I get my fair share of ethos, pathos, and logos on a daily basis. Usually its one out weighing the others but there is generally a little bit of everything. When it comes to the ethos side of things I have to deal with making sure the customers have filled out any and all paperwork completely and accurately for their packages. A slight mistake can result in unnecessary consequences with their package. For me to not read over and double check their paperwork would not be acceptable to the customer as well as myself when I would hear about the issue later. The logos comes in when it is time for me to do any ordering of supplies for the store. It is my job to make the appropriate supply list in an organized manner so that the store owner can look over and sign off on it that it is ok to be sent to the supply company. The pathos is definitely an ongoing part of that job on a verbal scale, but when it comes to writing it isn't so obvious. I usually try to use pathos in my writing when I would like my coworker or my boss to get certain tasks done in a reasonable amount of time. I think this job gives me good experience working with rhetoric on verbal and written levels. Let's just hope that I will be able to utilize rhetoric properly when it comes time for my future career.

3 comments:

  1. Good post. I also want to give you some kudos for responding to others' blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate. I encounter ethos, pathos, and logos in my work environment as well. It is crazy to see how these concepts are intertwined into our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not miss dealing with retail customers. It's hectic enough dealing with the rhetoric my coworkers throw my way.

    Today I had to be like a salesman to an internal customer that was hesitant to sign off on some business requirements I sent to her. I established my credentials with some ethos, presented a little bit of logos, and put the pressure on with some pathos. It was a successful interaction.

    ReplyDelete